The Science and Technology Policy Research Institute of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR-STEPRI) is over the next four days (11th -14th July 2017) hosting the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) to organize National Consultations on Rolling-Out the Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa (S3A) to Ghana.
The Science Agenda for Agriculture in Africa (S3A) is regarded as the game-changer for the continent’s agricultural transformation agenda. Its implementation within the countries is anticipated to create favorable policy environment for science, enhance capacity strengthening mechanisms, promote effective financing arrangements, and support innovation platforms in advancing agricultural transformation.
The Workshop Objectives are to:
- Sensitive participants on the status and strategy of S3A
- Craft a theory of change and results framework, emphasizing science priorities, needs baseline and expected change resulting from mainstreaming of S3A at national levels.
- Set up a controlled process for deepening Ghana’s engagements with S3A implementation
- Refresh Ghana’s NAIPs with respect to STI preparedness to deliver CAADP-Malabo targets
- Provide the information base for the Ghana-driven proposal to IFAD for implementation of S3A.
Topics to be covered in the workshop will be hosted by the Government of Ghana over a period of four days and will cover the following topics:
- Day 1: S3A Concepts and Processes; Country Action Plans for S3A mainstreaming
- Day 2: Realizing S3A vision at country level and alignment of Change and Knowledge Management
- Introduction to Results Framework, Theory of Change and Knowledge Management.
- Plenary to present and discuss draft strategies for the National roll-out
The Expected Outputs envisaged from the Consultations would include
- Common challenges and opportunities in S3A implementation elaborated.
- An examination of how the utilization of existing facilities and interventions can promote S3A
- Roles and responsibilities for Ghana as one of the Tier One countries understood and confirmed
- Scaling-up strategies for phasing of S3A roll-out elaborated
- National level S3A implementation strategies and operational modalities refined
- Theory of Change, Results Framework and knowledge management mechanisms elaborated
The workshop is a joint initiative of FARA and CORAF and is set to identify and device effective mechanisms for rolling out the S3A. Participants are drawn from: Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) and Various Directorates; Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation (MESTI); Ministry of Finance; Agricultural; Development Partners: USAID, The World Bank, Technoserve, Care International, CIKOD, ADRA, International Agencies: AGRA, IWMI, IITA, CABI and WASCAL; Agro-input dealers; Yara, Wienco, Farmer organizations and Civil Society.